THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Friday, March 6, 2009

Does Exercise help you lose weight or not?


Typically, it should help you lose weight. Dr. Atkins said in his book, Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, that exercise is non-negotiable when trying to lose weight on his low-carb diet. Exercise should raise the metabolism when eating fewer calories would make it do a nose dive.

However, it is clear that some people like Dr. Taubes, author of Good Calories, Bad Calories, do not think exercise is beneficial in weight loss. Certainly in Africa where people walk miles, many of the people are still obese. Why? Besides living off carbs, there is another reason and I think Dr. Jonny Bowden hits the nail on the head when he says that some people will compensate for exercising by eating more. This article is very interesting!

8 comments:

Jennifer W said...

APPLE+ORANGE DIET - lose weight easy with fruit diet plan! Thank you for visiting!

Jennifer said...

Hmm, I'm not sure this has anything to do with low-carbing, but thanks for visiting.

Lose Weight Quick said...

Great article there some great points i think everyone is different in a sense... for eg.. sure there is someone you know who can eat a truck load of choclate and not gain a single lbs.. then on the other hand some else can think of that very thought and gain 5lbs... go figure.. maybe it's to do with the genes i don't know.. enjoyed the read though thanks...

Jennifer said...

Count me in the gain 5 lb group if I eat real chocolate every day. There is some talk about chocolate being an allergy for some people which in turn causes inflammation, which in turn causes more fat storage - I had an article recently that pointed to Dr. Bowden's article on allergies and inflammation and getting fat!!

Auto 1 said...

Great read there doctor.. i agree and noticed this in myself that when im exercising i seem to work up more of an appetite, although i hope it is paying off the reality is that i am probably just compensating the exercise with eating more.... something to think about

Jennifer said...

Exercise is great for overall health. Walking as we get older is one of the best forms of exercise. People in old age homes sitting in chairs and immobile are typically those who did not stay active in their later adult years.

I'm not a doctor, but the article that sparked my interest is from Dr. Bowden's site.

I find the same thing though. I myself think I compensate by eating more if I exercise, as it does not help me with weight loss. It does help me not to put on weight - definitely. I do tone up, become firmer and look better and feel stronger as a result.

Nissan 4x4 said...

Very true... maybe exercise is not beneficial for all people in losing weight... just the same as it's maybe not beneficial for a genius to study before a test..mmm i would rather play it safe though, exercising has more benefits than just losing weight.. like stimulating the mind.. and preventing the dog from going stupid...

Jennifer said...

ROFL Nissan - the dog comment was funny! I'll admit I exercise, but not nearly enough.