THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, February 5, 2009

*ULTRA LOW-CARB CREPES* (GF)


ULTRA LOW-CARB CREPES
Ultra tasty too! Lovely with Crème Fraiche, page 99, Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Vol. 2 and Saskatoon Mixed Berry Jam, page 57.

3 oz cream cheese (90 g)
3 eggs
2 tbsp vanilla or chocolate whey protein (25 mL)
1 tbsp vital wheat gluten (15 mL) For gluten free: use oat flour
1 tbsp ground almonds (15 mL)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (1 mL)
1 tsp olive oil (5 mL)

In cereal bowl with saucer for lid, microwave cream cheese 45 seconds. In medium bowl, using a wire whisk, whisk cream cheese and eggs until as smooth as possible. Add vanilla whey protein, vital wheat gluten, ground almonds and vanilla extract. Whisk vigorously until as smooth as possible. Do not worry about tiny lumps of cream cheese. These will disappear upon cooking. (Use a food processor or blender for better mixing)

In 5-inch (13 cm) nonstick frying pan (diameter of base), brushed with a tiny amount of olive oil, pour 2 tbsp (25 mL) of crepe batter. Tilt pan to coat with batter, using spoon to help spread it. Cook over medium heat. Flip crepe when edges are beginning to turn brown. Cook briefly on other side. Repeat.

Helpful Hints: The crepes in the photo: I spread them with flavored Cream Cheese Spread (recipe from one of my books) and topped with Strawberry Sauce (See Blue Ribbon Cheesecake recipe below or recipe in the recipe links).

Yield: 9, 5” (13 cm) crepes
1 crepe
73.4 calories
4.7 g protein
5.6 g fat
0.8 g carbs

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM! That picture made me drool! I have a can of no-sugar cherry pie filling and a jar of no-sugar peach pie filling - I'm thinking those would be dandy toppings too!

Thanks, Jen, must try this recipe soon.

Charski

Amy Dungan (Sparky's Girl) said...

Those look REALLY good! I'll have to give it a try!

mac24312 said...

These look WONDERFUL Jennifer!!

Thanks and HUGS
Christina

Jennifer said...

Hi Charski!! How wonderful to see you here, my friend. Welcome and visit lots! :-)

Jennifer said...

Amy, thanks for visiting and commenting. :-)

Christina, how nice of you to visit and comment as well. HUGS back at ya!

The internet has been down so often lately due to an unusually brutal storm across the country, that I was getting withdrawal symptoms.

Vikki said...

Oh girl! those look fantastic. dizzle with a little orange liquor ooo with fresh strawberries... ok need to whip my laptop off...giggle
Have a great week my friend,
Vikki

Anonymous said...

Lovely, lovely! I am thinking these would make a great savory base for sea food crepes!

Jennifer said...

You are right! Great idea! I loved savory crepes when I was a young woman in my early twenties. There was this fantastic crepe and pancake house in Cape Town, South Africa (I grew up in that country) - you could order all kinds of savory or sweet fillings for crepes.