THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

*CHILI TO WARM THE COCKLES OF YOUR HEART* (GF)



CHILI
This chili recipe from More Splendid Low-Carbing is actually meant to be served without kidney beans! However, 1/2 to 1 cup canned black beans (tastier than kidney beans and lower in carbs) will add 1 or 2 g carbs respectively. I skipped the pepperoni and used canned black beans for the bowl of chili in the photo. I served it sprinkled with grated Cheddar cheese alongside lovely, fresh warm bread (2 g carbs), buttered with my healthy butter.

1 lb lean ground beef (0.454 kg)
1/2 cup chopped onion (125 mL)
23 fl oz Classico® Spicy Red Pepper
Sauce, or similar tomato sauce (680 mL)
11/2 cups water (375 mL)
1, 14 oz can sliced mushrooms, (284 mL)
drained
2 oz chopped pepperoni (60 g)
2 tbsp tomato paste (25 mL)
1 tbsp instant beef stock mix (15 mL)
1/2 tsp hot chili powder, OR to taste (2 mL)

In large electric frying pan or nonstick saucepan, brown beef and onions. Pour off fat. Stir in Classico® Spicy Red Pepper Sauce, water, mushrooms, pepperoni, tomato paste, beef stock mix and hot chili powder. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered about half an hour.

Yield: 8 servings
1 serving
192.7 calories
13.7 g protein
11.9 g fat
6.6 g carbs

8 comments:

Amy Dungan (Sparky's Girl) said...

That looks wonderful Jennifer! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

Hi Amy - hope you're feeling better today? Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Margaret said...

Should have had this recipe for our chili fest on the weekend. As it was, I got off scottfree, letting all the other neighborhood cooks do the work!! ha ha

Jennifer said...

LOL Hi Margaret! So good to see you here! (((Hugs))

As usual Ian thought half a loaf of warm fresh bread with lots of butter and two helpings of this chili was low-carbing!!

mac24312 said...

Hi Jennifer!!

Guess what I am going to be fixing this weekend with another round of your LC Bread GF!! Waiting on the other recipe you said you would post like you told me in your e-mail ;]...Can't wait till I get my books!! ;]

HUGS
Christina

Jennifer said...

That's great, Christina! :-)

I'm packing for my holiday tomorrow, so I will be MIA for a while. When I get back I'll post the quickie breakfast sandwich for you.

mac24312 said...

Have a safe Holiday!! Look forward to your recipes when you get back!!


HUGS
Christina

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Christina. :-)