A Source for Gluten-Free Oats

Hope your Christmas was lovely.

Here is a useful source for gluten-free oats at Netrition: Netrition.com/gluten-free oats Apparently, Bob's Red Mill also makes certified gluten-free oats, which can blended finely in a blender for oat flour.

Here is some information about oats and Celiac disease: oats and Celiac disease

I myself don't have Celiac disease or a gluten intolerance (not that I'm aware of anyway), but I'm intrigued that many people (15% of the population, but judging from the blogs on the internet, I would have to think there are more people that simply prefer to eat gluten-free due to an intolerance or perhaps a desire to eat gluten-free, simply because they view it as healthier) have one of those conditions. It is also intriguing to me that not much exists in the way of gluten-free and low-carbohydrate cooking and baking. I know Lauren of Healthy Indulgences follows gluten-free and low-carb (not necessarily sugar free though, but low sugar, however, many recipes are sugar free (not Splenda either))and Jamie - her links to her blog (The Lighter Side of Low Carb - plus I notice a super listing of her recipes - that's new!) and national examiner are in my favorite blog links. I myself thought I'd include some gluten-free, low-carb recipes on this blog amongst my usual fare. I enjoy a challenge and the whole food chemistry thing. I'm not saying I'm the greatest cook in the world (I typically don't tackle anything too difficult, too fancy or too time consuming - and I'm certainly not a gourmet cook. I typically use ordinary ingredients with a few exceptions to that rule when it comes to specialty baking.), but I do come up with some good substitutes for favorites for folks following special diets. That is my specialty. :-) I believe that particular talent of mine is God-given, lest I take any credit for it or seem boastful. Generally, everyone gets given talents and it is neat to find out what they are. It took me forever and a day to find mine it seemed after a couple of tries at 3 different careers and being either in university or the work force for a few years and then came babies and then my books.

It is difficult to diagnose a simple intolerance to gluten, but I would think "cause and effect". If you eat gluten or something containing gluten (such as bread) and notice a negative effect soon thereafter, then chances are you might be sensitive to gluten.

Sometimes Celiac symptoms mimic Candida symptoms: candida vs Celiac

Here are some gluten intolerance symptoms I found on the internet: Ana Wilde (author)

* Weight loss or weight gain
* Nutritional deficiencies due to absorption e.g. low iron levels
* Gastro-intestinal problems (bloating, pain, gas, constipation, diarrhea)
* Fat in the stools (due to poor digestion)
* Aching joints
* Depression
* Eczema
* Head aches
* Exhaustion
* Irritability and behavioral changes
* Infertility, irregular menstrual cycle and miscarriage
* Cramps, tingling and numbness
* Slow infant and child growth
* Decline in dental health

It is clear from this list that there could be overlapping with other conditions that mimic these symptoms. So, best is to check what happens after consuming foods with lots of gluten. There are tests that can be done if Celiac is suspected - antibody test as well as a minimally invasive intestinal biopsy.