THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

DULCE DE LECHE (GF)


Here is my condensed milk recipe (it is decadent to say the least!):
Condensed Milk (for baking)

Add 2 tsp molasses and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tsp extra butter (to make sure the dulce de leche topping sets up properly) - this results in a confection reminiscent of caramel, dulce de leche or a toffee-like flavor. When sufficiently cooled and thickened in refrigerator, use about 2/3 to 1 cup as a topping for a New-York style cheesecake, for instance. The carbs increase from 2.9 to 3.3 per serving. Using 2/3 cup, this adds less than 3 g of carbs per slice of cheesecake (12 servings). Freeze the rest if you have that kind of will power. Also, remember most cheesecakes freeze really well, sliced, in a sealed tupperware-type container.

Helpful Hints: For many low-carbers the molasses will be a total no-no. Instead flavor the condensed milk with butterscotch extract (no more than 1/2 tsp) or caramel extract (is there such a thing? - Caramel DaVinci Sugar Free Syrup would work but be careful to use no more than 1 or 2 tsp, otherwise the mixture will not be viscous enough for a topping.

6 comments:

Vikki said...

I don't see why any low carber couldn't handle the tiny amount of molasses in this recipe if they use black strap. It has a stronger flavor, all the vitamins and minerals and only 11 carbs for a full table spoon. A nice little bit of info I pick up from your friend and mine, Dana Carpendar. They just need to make sure it says black strap on the bottle. Otherwise, its not the real stuff.

I picked up a bottle at the healthfood store (unsulfured) and I've been using the same darn bottle for 4 years and it's still mostly full. I use it in "baked beans" or anything I need a brown sugar flavor, but when you only use a teaspoon or two at the time, well a bottle lasts a really long time...giggle

anyway, I'm not sure it would help anyone in this small amount but blackstrap is a wonderful sourse of iron for anyone that needs it.
Take care, thanks for a wonderful post Hmmmm now what can I use this wonderful cream on?

Jennifer said...

Hi Vikki - as usual you are a goldmine of information! Thanks.

I think black strap molasses probably has a stronger flavor than my Grandma molasses, so add one teaspoon, taste and add another, if necessary.

You could pour a little bit of the Dulce de Leche over the plain pound cake recipe of mine that you like - to jazz it up a bit. :-)

Jennifer said...

P.S. I appreciate your support. It gets pretty lonely in here sometimes. lol

Jennifer said...

P.P.S. I contacted our mutual friend, Dar, and you can see I added a pertinent website to my health blogs which is related to what we discussed.

Vikki said...

I hope the discussion with Dar was nice. She's a wealth of information.

As for me, oh you know me, I know a little bit about a lot of thing and not a lot about any one things...giggle

But after I read what Dana had to say about it, well I had to dig a little deeper and I was happy with the things I found.

While as low carber I won't be taking it by the tablespoon as some folk do. I think it's benefits out weigh it's sugar content. And since it's the last boil of the sugar cane, I feel it doesn't have the full effect of useless sugar and it has all those lovely minerals our body needs such as iron and potatsium

And besides a little goes a long way. Heck I've even added a small drizzle to splenda in my food processor and made my own brown sugar. It worked pretty well, but I found in most things I can measure better if I just add a tsp or so of Blackstrap to the recipe.

Jennifer said...

Dar is an amazing lady. We're helping each other as best we can from our personal and somewhat similar experiences.

I also use a little molasses in my baking to mimic brown sugar and, like you, just add it to the recipe. One or two recipes in my cookbooks utilize this little trick. It is true a little does go a long way. It has quite a strong flavor, doesn't it?

Have a lovely day! :-)