THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

GLUTEN-FREE LOW-CARB WAFFLES (GF)


Gluten-Free Low-Carb Waffles
Easy and tasty! Toast them in the toaster when required to crisp them again. Use in place of bread with eggs and bacon or spread with spreadable cream cheese (6 oz cream cheese, 2 tbsp DaVinci; process) or use low-carb syrup. Lots of ideas - even strawberries or blueberries and whipped cream or Creme Fraiche or ice cream.

8 oz regular cream cheese, softened
4 eggs
1/2 cup Gluten-Free Bake Mix (link to the right under recipes - with coconut flour )
2 packets Splenda (optional)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Preheat waffle maker for at least 10 to 15 minutes. This is important to prevent waffles from sticking. They must come out easily. Liberally brush inside forms with olive oil before placing 3 tbsp of batter on each form. Cook 3 minutes.

Process cream cheese, eggs, Gluten-Free Bake Mix, Splenda (if using), baking powder and baking soda in food processor or blender, scraping sides occasionally to incorporate all ingredients.

Nutritional Analysis: 10 waffles, 1 waffle per serving.

125.9 calories, 5.6 g protein, 10.2 g fat, 2.5 g carbs (Calories are not too out of line (but are higher due to olive oil used) and carbs are low enough - sugar free and gluten-free).

7 comments:

Vikki said...

yummy, I love waffles from time to time. So when I make them I make up several and freeze the extras. The toaster oven crisps them back up perfectly.

I have a question for you... OK I know when don't I right? giggle

Is coconut flour gluten-free? I don't even know where to go to look for gluten-free foods.

Thanks,
Vikki

Vikki said...

Not sure this would will post. My other 2 tries didn't. But wanted to tell you these sound yummy! Are they crispy with the cream cheese in them?

I have a question for you, is coconut flour gluten-free? Or where can I find out which foods are gluten-free and which aren't.

I don't need gluten-free, but I'd like to copy you and tag recipe that are. But I've no idea which foods are and which are not. I know things like soy and peanut butter have gluten (I think).

Hope your doing well,
Vikki

Jennifer said...

Hi Vikki,

Coconut flour is gluten-free: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organic_coconut_flour.htm

Here is a listing of gluten-free flours, including soy flour:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/863/1/Gluten-Free-Flour-Alternatives-by-Karen-Robertson/Page1.html

Unfortunately, the majority of gluten-free flours are high in carbohydrates and often higher than white wheat flour! I don't like soy flour because it is a goitrogen and affects thyroid function. I also don't care for the taste too much. I was very excited when oat flour was given the green light. It is only slightly higher than soy flour in carbs.

As long as the peanut butter is just made with peanuts, it should be gluten-free. :-) Some peanut butters will say gluten-free on the jar.

Jennifer said...

The waffles are crispy at first, but soften later. Toast them to crisp again.

Jennifer said...

Vikki, your famous flax breads are most likely gluten-free. :-)

Gluten Free said...

Wonderful recipe! Thanks for the information. I've just started a brand new gluten free blog and it was lovely to find this recipe today. :-)

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Gluten Free. :-)

All the best with your new blog. I will be watching with interest.

Feel free to use my gluten-free bake mix to develop your own recipes (all I ask is for credit for the bake mix) and feel free to link to my blog. I will provide gluten-free recipes often. I am interested in the recipes being at least moderate in carbs and sugarless because that is healthier too, in my opinion. Sugar is definitely a known poison. Splenda has not hurt our family and we've had more than anyone on planet earth.