THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, December 18, 2008

*GOLDEN FRUITCAKE* (GF)



About the Gluten-Free Bake Mix: When substituting for white flour, extra fluid or wet ingredients may still be required, but quite a bit extra is required when subbing for one of my bake mixes (in this case 3/4 cup extra), therefore, less Gluten-free bake mix could conceivably be used to further lower carbs. This bake mix can be substituted in most of my baking recipes quite successfully. Use certified gluten-free oat flour or finely grind the certified gluten-free oats from Bob's Red Mill. I would like to try my bake mix with a little less Xanthan gum, because I feel it cuts sweetness somewhat and I can detect its presence ever so slightly in some baked goods. Also, there should be other alternatives for coconut flour (by the way it is so subtle the flavor that usually it is not perceived in the baking, but adds extra fiber and cuts carbs. I guess flax seed meal and whey protein powder would work, changing liquid requirements mostly in the latter option.) Anyway, I'm really chuffed to be able to offer something like this for gluten-free folks who are also carb conscious. The thing about gluten free flours is that they are often more carbs than white flour! Go figure - that is sad. However, that said, other gluten-free flours can be substituted for my bake mixes. I use Splenda Granular, however, another sweetener of choice may be subbed in my recipes.

These attractive mini loaves make great Christmas presents for someone with diabetes or someone who lives gluten-free and lower carb. Place frosted loaves on a pretty paper plate. Cover with plastic wrap and transparent colored wrap (the one I had was transparent with blue stripes). I taped the wrap underneath, but you could bring it up to the top in a bunch and tie a bow around it.

Another idea I like for Christmas presents are my spiced pecan clusters (awesome!) or curried walnuts or almond clusters placed in pretty Christmas tins. I was amused to see in a recent post by Dana Carpender that she likes to do the same thing with her nut recipes.

GOLDEN FRUITCAKE(Makes 2 mini loaves)
This flavorful fruitcake is quite moderate in carbs compared to the real thing. Use certified gluten-free oat flour or finely grind the certified gluten-free oats from Bob's Red Mill.

1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/4 cup seedless California raisins
1/4 cup chopped dates
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp rum extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1 3/4 cups Gluten-free Bake Mix
3/4 cup SPLENDA® Granular
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, separated
1/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup Hood Carb Countdown Milk OR mixture of cream and water
1/2 cup yogurt
Icing:
1/2 cup Splenda Granular
4 tbsp powdered erythritol
4 tbsp whole milk powder (hispanic section of Super Walmart or Publix)
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp water

In medium bowl, combine dried apricots, raisins, dates and almonds. Stir in lemon juice, rum extract, vanilla extract and lemon peel. Set aside. In another medium bowl, combine Gluten-Free Bake Mix, SPLENDA® Granular and baking soda.

In food processor with whipping assembly, whip egg whites until stiff. In mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat egg yolks and butter together. To egg yolk mixture, add half dry ingredients, Hood Carb Countdown milk, yogurt and remaining dry ingredients. Fold egg whites into batter and stir in fruit and nut mixture. Spread evenly in two greased nonstick 53/4 x 31/4 x 21/4 inch (15 x 8 x 6 cm) mini loaf pans. Bake in 300°F (150°C) oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Turn out and frost with Icing. Cover and store at room temperature for 2 days. Refrigerate thereafter.

Icing: In blender, combine Splenda Granular, erythritol, milk powder and cornstarch. Add melted butter and water; blend until smooth. Frost mini fruitcake loaves immediately.

Nutritional analysis without icing:10 servings, 1 slice per serving: 89.9 cal; 2.9 g pro; 5.0 g fat; 7.4 g carbs

Nutritional analysis with icing:10 servings, 1 slice per serving: 111.9 cal; 3.3 g pro; 6.5 g fat; 9.0 g carbs

Helpful Hint: Considering regular fruitcake runs at least 25 g carbs per slice, this is moderate in carbs.

Here is another recipe from Splendid Low-Carb Desserts:

GOLDEN FRUITCAKE (Not gluten-free)
Do you miss traditional fruitcake? I’m not really a fan of fruitcake; however, I really enjoyed this lighter version. This fruitcake is quite moderate in carbs compared to the real thing.

1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped (75 mL)
1/4 cup seedless California raisins (50 mL)
1/4 cup chopped dates (50 mL)
1/4 cup slivered almonds, (50 mL)
lightly toasted, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice (15 mL)
2 tsp rum extract (10 mL)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
1 tsp grated lemon peel (5 mL)
1 3/4 cups Low-Carb Bake Mix (425 mL)
3/4 cup SPLENDA® Granular (175 mL)
3/4 tsp baking soda (3 mL)
2 eggs, separated
1/4 cup butter, softened (50 mL)
1/2 cup yogurt (125 mL)
Icing:
3/4 cup Confectioner’s Sugar Substitute (175 mL)
2 tbsp butter, melted (25 mL)
1/4 cup Da Vinci® Sugar Free French Vanilla Syrup, OR (50 mL)
Low-Carb Pancake Syrup

In medium bowl, combine dried apricots, raisins, dates and almonds. Stir in lemon juice, rum extract, vanilla extract and lemon peel. Set aside. In another medium bowl, combine Low-Carb Bake Mix, SPLENDA® Granular and baking soda.

In food processor with whipping assembly, whip egg whites until stiff. In mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat egg yolks and butter together. To egg yolk mixture, add half dry ingredients, yogurt and remaining dry ingredients. Fold egg whites into batter and stir in fruit and nut mixture. Spread evenly in two greased nonstick 53/4 x 31/4 x 21/4 inch (15 x 8 x 6 cm) mini loaf pans. Bake in 300°F (150°C) oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Turn out and frost with Icing. Cover and store at room temperature for 2 days. Refrigerate thereafter.

Icing: In small bowl, whisk together Confectioner’s Sugar Substitute, page 65, butter and Da Vinci® Sugar Free French Vanilla Syrup. Add extra syrup as needed. Using a cream cheese frosting (think spreadable cream cheese, powdered erythritol, vanilla) will reduce carbs a bit.

Nutritional Analysis: Yield: 10 slices per loaf, 1 slice/without icing
130.7/106.4 calories; 6.1/5.2 g protein; 8.3/6.6 g fat; 7.7/6.3 g carbs

11 comments:

Lauren said...

Can't wait to see your fruitcake, Jennifer! Will have to look for some of that pretty colored wrap for gift giving. Where did you find it?

Jennifer said...

Aaargh, tomorrow, Lauren. It's crazy around here - that time of year!

Jennifer said...

Lauren, the recipe for the Gluten-free low-carb fruitcake is up on my blog and the photo as well. I made this, to be honest, with you in mind, when you mentioned you wanted to make it for a friend. Now you can double the recipe and make 2 loaves for yourself. They freeze well. Wrap in plastic and then in foil. I would frost the thawed loaves rather than up front.

The pretty, transparent wrap with a pattern: I cannot remember where I bought it unfortunately. I would imagine wherever one normally buys wrap such as in a big department store or dollar store, you might find it. I did not picture the wrapped loaves, because I had already delivered it before we did the photos. I had doubled the recipe. One loaf was immediately consumed and the other was waiting for frosting and to be photographed. The other two frosted loaves were given away beautifully wrapped!

Lauren said...

These are gorgeous! I cannot wait to try them. Might have to do it without the dates just 'cause I have the apricots and raisins on hand and want to make this immediately. Thank you, Jennifer!

Jennifer said...

You're welcome! :-) The original recipe also had some slivered almonds (1/4 cup), chopped and toasted.

Ranaesheart said...

Jennifer ~ How amazing you are to provide us with carb conscious, calorie conscious holiday recipes! Many thanks from someone who KNOWS you can eat healthy and have amazing and delicious options!!! Happy Holidays! Ranae

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Ranae, I enjoy this work. It's always been fun for me to find lower carb and often lower calorie alternatives to favorite foods. Now I'm enjoying the gluten-free, sugar free, low-carb baking too for a change. I like to provide options for folks on special diets. You can further lower the calories by choosing lower fat options in my recipes.

This is true. You more than anyone I know practically would know. Love the inspiration you provide on your blog and constantly I am amazed by your success and sheer determination.

Jennifer said...

Merry Christmas to you and Lauren. :-)

Lauren said...

The cake turned out so well, Jennifer! I absolutely love the flavor and the combination of fruits. Am tweaking the recipe a bit (want to make it nut-free for someone), and will link back to you of course. Hope you had an enjoyable holiday!

Jennifer said...

Lauren, that was really kind of you to come back and mention that. I hope the nut-free version works well. I have nut-free bake mix if you do ever need one.

Jennifer said...

I'd like to share a really nice note I got from Grace.

Jennifer, I just wanted to thank you for your fruitcake recipe. I was feeling really deprived without my fruitcake this year. The fruitcake I'm used to has almost no flour - it's just lots of dates (terrible for blood sugar), dried fruits and nuts - very very high carb and calorie. I'm determined not to stray too far from my WOE this season. So when I saw your fruitcake recipe my eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. I put a bit more dates, apricots, dried cranberries and nuts in it than you to make it a little more like my other one. I
doubled the recipe and baked it in a 9X12 pan with no frosting (saving calories - ha!ha!). I froze half (which I am now into!) and have a slice every morning with my coffee and feel on top of the world. I just can't thank you enough for all your experimentation which I take advantage of all the time! Have a very Merry Christmas, Jennifer.