CHOCOLATE-IN-THE-MIDDLE ONE MINUTE MUFFIN

Okay, (Vikki) and I are on the same wavelength lately. She just made a scrumptious-looking minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Torte complete with frosting.

I've rediscovered the one minute muffin (the original recipe has 1/4 cup flaxseed meal ( for very strict low-carbers) instead of my substitutes of only 3 tbsp main dry ingredients for a moderate carb muffin), because life is crazy right now with the move and all. It is nice and quick to prepare. I don't know why it is, but I like something sweet or something half sweet at the very least with my cup of tea. I've even been known to have a teaspoon of peanut butter when there's nothing else around. That looks weird, but I don't care, it's just me and my computer in the room. lol By the way whole wheat pastry flour (better option) and oat flour have about the same number of carbs as soy flour.

Chocolate-in-the-middle One Minute Muffin:
(Muffin tested with whole wheat pastry flour, Carbalose flour and flaxseed meal - the other options have not been tested - they are merely alternative suggestions)

1 tsp butter or coconut oil, melted
1 egg
1 tbsp Carbalose flour (Netrition.com), OR
vital wheat gluten, OR oat flour for gluten-free
1 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour, OR oat flour, OR Carbalose flour (fewer carbs)
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
1 tbsp DaVinci Vanilla Sugar Free Syrup
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 square Lindt 70% or 85%, OR any of my chocolate recipes (which is what I used)

In small cereal bowl, combine butter, egg, Carbalose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, flaxseed meal, Splenda and baking powder; mix well with a fork. Butter or use nonstick cooking spray in a coffee or tea cup. Pour batter into cup. Push chocolate square halfway into batter and microwave on high 1 minute. Turn out. Allow to cool. I slice into several rounds and butter and spread each round with sugar free jam (I usually have homemade jam on hand, but Smuckers makes some good ones with Splenda). Lovely quick treat in a pinch - the texture is not quite as good as my usual muffins, but not bad for such a little fuss and instant gratification.

Variation: Minute Cheese Muffins: Omit Splenda, use Carbalose flour instead of flaxseed meal and whole wheat pastry flour (works better than oat flour), add a pinch of salt, 1 tbsp water or DaVinci Vanilla Sugar Free Syrup and 2 tbsp grated Monterey Jack cheese or whatever you have on hand. (I made this muffin this morning, sliced into rounds, buttered each, topped with Splenda apricot jam and more grated cheese. Nice, quick breakfast with my 2 cups of tea! I have also made these with the Carbalose version and 2 tbsp shredded Swiss cheese and Banana flavored syrup. Delicious! (3.6 g carbs)

Nutritional Analysis: With 85% Lindt Chocolate Square:

252 calories; 11.4 g protein; 16.6 g fat; 6.9 g carbs

Cheese Muffin: 286.8 calories; 18.5 g protein; 20.4 g fat; 7.0 g carbs

Helpful Hints: Initially, I made this muffin with Splenda, but the liquid DaVinci Sugar Free Syrup made a more tender, moist muffin (allow it to cool and dry somewhat for a couple of minutes on a cake rack). The texture is still not like my usual muffins, but not bad for a quick alternative. If DaVinci is not available, use 1 tbsp water and a packet of Splenda and 1/8 tsp vanilla extract. The muffin will be moist on the outside for a short while, but if per chance it looks like the batter has not cooked properly, pop back in the cup and nuke another 15 seconds or so; allow to cool.

Jennifer Eloff
Low-Carb.us