THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

LIFE WITHOUT DONUTS

Life Without Donuts is a blog name that tells us so much about the man who owns the blog. This is a guy who loved carbs, preferably loaded with fat and smothered in sugar - as in Donuts! However, today he has undergone a metamorphosis. It's almost as if he is another person! Ron went low-carb and lives his life without donuts. Weigh to go, Ron (pun intended)!!

Known as The Former Donut Junkie, Ron is a happily married pre-senior (I'm assuming he means later middle-aged, similar to me in my early fifties) who has lived and worked in the hills of East Tennessee all his life. I got this info from his first blog (he doesn't share a whole lot about himself and his accomplishments on his blog, mainly because I think he doesn't want the focus on himself, but instead wants to be of help to those in the low-carb community who can benefit from his personal experience with low-carbing). I believe this means we can truly trust Ron, not only with his writing, but if ever we have the privilege of knowing him as a friend. Anyway, when I saw his photo on the first blog (which he didn't transfer to the new wordpress blog), I could have sworn I was looking at Tom Hanks, the movie star. Is that really you, Ron, or is that Hanks? (smile) Here is the first blog for those who are curious as can be at this point to see the photo: Photo

Ron is a plumber and we all know plumbers are very much needed. To my chagrin, I can't call my friend, Ron, to come and fix the leaky faucets in the kitchen of our new home as we live in another country.

Ron is also a pretty good poet in his spare time: Sugar's Sweet Kiss of Death. He is also a pretty funny guy who doesn't mind poking fun at himself: Honey I shrunk my Muffin Top. Cute! :-)

Ron is a regular participator at Jimmy Moore's Forum. I just went over there to have a look. He is a moderator on that board. He is a kind man, bright, understanding and willing to encourage others on to success in the weight loss arena.

Rons' blog contains lots of fun reading for low-carbers. He will share recipes, news, research and data, product reviews and success stories with a good dose of humor usually - so never boring! He talks about his youth and struggles with dieting, mostly low-fat and the horrible hunger he had to endure. Story is here:
Dieting....the Early Years. He terms the low-fat diets fad diets, because he says they only work short term and after that the return to former eating habits restores the weight lost and sometimes more. He says they fail because they are not sustainable. It is a depressing cycle that many people are familiar with - lose weight, put it back on and yet some - soul destroying, not to mention embarrassing. Some people have even given up trying to lose weight, because at the very least their weight doesn't keep going up and up, as in after another failed diet attempt.

One needs to make a lifestyle change, Ron, aka The Former Donut Junkie, insists and I quote: "Low-carb is a journey and not a day hike! It is a lifestyle! It is not a diet! If it is to be successful!"

18 comments:

The Bionic Broad said...

Jennifer,

Add yourself to the list of great bloggers. Your recipe for the morning meal replacement is awesome, as is the chai mix. I have missed chai, and couldn't find a mix that was sugar free. I can't wait to try the other recipes. You rock, skinny chick!

Jennifer said...

LOL You view me as skinny?! I'd like to wear your glasses sometime too.

Thanks, so much, Pat, for your kind words. You look wonderful and pretty in your photo and I totally enjoy your blog! You are a gifted writer. I'm boring by comparison. I'll review yours soon, if I have your permission. ((HUGS))

Jennifer said...

Hey, Pat, I have not had that meal replacement shake in many years, but I remember it really helps stave off hunger and, I guess, it helps you when you're rushing off to teach - nice and quick too.

There is a story behind that shake, the idea of which is loosely based on another. There is a diet drink that dates back many years to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. A drink consisting of milk, orange juice, raw egg and olive oil was to be a meal replacement 3x a day for 3 days - to jump start weight loss. Ian's dad who is now a retired medical doctor used that every so often to keep his weight in check.

I made mine much tastier in comparison - to suit my sweet tooth! No way I could drink that doctor recommended concoction!!

Vikki said...

Hey Jennifer,
I'm a big fan of Ron too, he is funny but dishes up lots of useful information as well.

And while I've been reading him for some time now, you totally got me with the Tom Hanks comment...giggle I had to go look. I'd forgotten about that.
Have a good one girl and keep up the good work. I agree with Pat on both accounts, I love your blog AND you look very svelt to me
Have a great day, do something nice for yourself while your taking care of everyone else.
Vikki

The Bionic Broad said...

You have a way with words, and I enjoy reading your posts. You can talk about me all you want, as long as you don't call me easy (lol).

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Vikki, you too. Have a nice day. :-)

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Pat. When I write, it is how I sound in real life - pretty much. I was a very boring writer of compositions (essays you would call them?) in school, so that is still in the back of mind.

I will do a review of your blog soon with the greatest of pleasure. It's been fun doing them. It makes me realize what incredibly nice, talented people are behind these blogs, quietly or not so quietly, helping others without expecting much in return.

Amy Dungan (aka Sparky's Girl) said...

Ron just rocks! Thanks for highlighting his blog Jennifer. He's always got something to make us think and smile. :)

Jennifer said...

Yes, I agree - nice guy! I don't think he knows yet that we're chatting about him.

Former Donut Junkie said...

Well, I know now! You gals are spoiling me talking like that...but I love it! Thanks for all the nice comments. I believe so much in this online support of friends and other bloggers to encourage and inspire us to keep on keeping on.

Former Donut Junkie said...

Well, I apologize I didn't get here earlier, but Jennifer I do want to thank you for such a flattering review of Life Without Donuts. I'm really just the average guy who discovered LC and ditched donuts. Not that I don't like 'em....it's just that they cause this terrible swelling around my mid-section. And in my case it turned into what I like to call Donut Poisoning!

Anyhow, thanks again for featuring myself and so many really great bloggers here at your site. You are truly a great asset to the LC community. You're the best!

Jennifer said...

I understand about the donuts - they would do the same to me unfortunately, and I agree they are good!

You're welcome re the review. :-) I count myself blessed these days with all my new online friends.

Ranaesheart said...

Wonderful review, Jennifer, full of wit, humor and a fine introduction to a remarkable fellow pre-senior/later middle-ager .. loll ... nicely put. Couldn't agree with you both more about the ill gotten gains (pun intended) of fad diets and high carbs; was a yo-yo dieter myself until my metamorphosis. Glad to share a lifestyle and success in such fine company!

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Ranae. I love your inspirational blog. I'll review it too soon, if you don't mind me doing that. :-)

Ranaesheart said...

Jennifer ~ Linked to your blog and Ron's in tomorrow's article. Thanks for all you do and your relentless search for the recipes and information to make us all healthier! Best wishes on your move! ((Hugs))

Jennifer said...

Thanks, Ranae. I will check it out tomorrow when I get a moment. I will be busy tomorrow for a while, but hopefully will find some computer time.

Thank you for your kind words. Ditto about all the work you do!

michael said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://www.infrared-sauna-spot.info

Jennifer said...

Thanks for letting me know you're reading the blog and that you like it. :-)