THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Prompted by a Reader - Only Two Bake Mixes Required for all my recipe books!

A question was posed by Ethyl who owns my low-carb cookbooks:

How interchangeable are all the bake mix variations that are listed in your cookbooks? I have all the low-carb ones and have been trying some of the recipes (no disappointments yet), but am a little overwhelmed by all the different bake mix options. If I try a recipe for the first time I feel that I should stick to the exact bake mix you recommend (otherwise how would I know, if it didn't turn out, that it was because I used another bake mix?) but I am ending up with several different bake mixes on hand and small amounts of each left over. It's getting a little overwhelming and to have so many and to keep straight which one to use for what. I would prefer if there were just one bake mix that would work for everything. Your advice is appreciated.

My Answer:

Important Note: Most of my recipes do not require any bake mixes.

Ethyl, first of all, lump all your leftover bake mixes together in a container, seal and freeze. Use whenever needed to bread things as mentioned in the previous post or as a binder in hamburgers and meatloaf. Also, you can use it to "flour" the surface when rolling out dough.

Your best bet (to prevent possible problems) is to choose two bake mixes. One of them should be a Vital Ultimate Bake Mix (Cup-for-Cup substitution for white flour) and the other my Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix.

Splendid Low-Carbing: Replace all bake mixes with a Vital Ultimate Bake Mix of choice (there are several variations). In muffins or loaves a little more liquid may be required (not necessarily) to achieve the right consistency. Do not replace the bread bake mixes as I cannot guarantee anything. Low-carb breads are finicky.

More Splendid Low-Carbing: A breeze - substitute the two low-carb bake mixes offered in this book with Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix. It should work beautifully.

Splendid Low-Carb Desserts: Easy!
Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix is predominantly used with one or two recipes requiring a Vital Ultimate Bake Mix.

Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume One: Occasional use of a Vital Ultimate Bake Mix in this book.

Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Volume Two: Mostly used Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix and Biskmix (variation of the former) and occasional use of a Vital Ultimate Bake Mix.

Thankfully, most of the low-carb desserts work really well with the Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix which is a good bake mix for serious Atkineers or low-carbers requiring strict carb counting and no flour products. It is possible to substitute the Vital Ultimate Bake Mix for the Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix in desserts (add 2 tbsp to 1/4 cup extra), but it is a little trickier doing it the other way around for breads, etc. -i.e. substituting the Low-carb bake mix for an ultimate bake mix. I cannot guarantee the results in breads (as I've not tested that scenario), so I can't recommend it.

I suspect the Gluten-free bake mix that I offer on this blog would work really well in my recipes as a third option, however, I cannot guarantee anything, as I've not tested them with this option.

Simple Solution: Only two bake mixes are required to really enjoy all my recipes without resorting to making too many of the bake mix options - Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix and Vital Ultimate Bake Mix.

Jennifer Eloff
www.low-carb.us

11 comments:

ethyl d said...

Thank you!

Jennifer said...

You're welcome, Ethyl. What a good question you posed! :-)

Vikki said...

My plan for this weekend is to get big batches of each of these made and in the freezer. I want to get a jump on my Holiday cooking. Having lc cookies, and treats I can pull out when needed will go a long, long way towards keeping me on track this Year.
Your the bestest! Thanks again,
Vikki

Vikki said...

Oh I almost forgot, Which do you think would work best for a good biscuit top on a potpie? I just made the best one I've ever eaten, but I had to use carbquik. Its what I had on hand. I'd like to make sure I use your low carb mix next time to compare... not that there will be any comparison, I have to add vanilla to the carbquik to hide that nasty soy taste.

Jennifer said...

I agree - baking plenty of low-carb goodies is an insurance policy for remaining on track during the holidays when temptation is at its strongest.

Vikki, I replied to this question on your blog, Vikki's low-carb kitchen. I give ideas for using either Biskmix or a Vital Ultimate Bake Mix.

Ranaesheart said...

What an educational post and so looking forward to implementing these into my continuing journey of healthy eating. How amazing your recipes are .. such a pleasure to broaden our horizons with healthy eating!

Thankyou For your sharing these wonderful ideas with us!

Jennifer said...

Ranae, thanks. :-) You are such an inspiration to me and I'm sure to so many other people whom you are helping daily.

Anonymous said...

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/recipes/read/122.html

I saw this recipe but the filling directions gave the ingredients but not the amounts?

Jennifer said...

Wow, thank you for pointing that out! I quickly checked the actual magazine online and the recipe is fine in there at:
http://digital.diabeteshealth.com/browse/08/10/40.html

I will alert the good folks at Diabetes Health.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic, thanks so much for this information! I just received all 5 LC books and this is very helpful. I made the Splendid LC Bake Mix (with coconut flour - it is so good!) and Vital Oat Bake Mix. It's great to know these two are interchangeable with all the books and what types of recipes work best with each mix.

Jennifer - your cookbooks are fantastic! I haven't been dissapointed with any of the recipes.

Jennifer said...

Thank you very much for your comment re using coconut flour in the Splendid Low-Carb Bake Mix. I'm glad someone else likes that option. Thanks also for your kind words re my cookbooks. Visit anytime. Welcome! :-) I will be showcasing recipes from my cookbooks soon - not the actual recipes - but talking about various ones. At least, that is my plan.