Fun Caffeine-Free Teas: Rooibos and Honeybush Teas





Rooibos (Afrikaans/Dutch-like name) or Red Bush tea originates in South Africa, where I grew up as a child.

This is the exact package I have at the moment as well as a box of Organic Rooibos Flavour Pack made by Carmien in South Africa.

Rooibos is pronounced "Roy-boss". Some of us want a cup of tea before bedtime, but the caffeine will either keep us awake or wake us later in the early hours of the morning. Rooibos tea is a great tea to have. I like it with a little milk and Splenda, but one can drink it plain or with a slice of lemon, depending on the flavor of the tea. If I'm brewing a pot of tea, then I sometimes add vanilla extract to flavor the plain Rooibos tea. Another trick I use is in the mornings when I make a pot of tea for Ian and I is that I will use some Earl Grey Black tea or Breakfast Tea leaves and then open a tea bag of Rooibos tea to dilute the caffeine - i.e. half-and-half. This way I can have 2 cups of tea! There's method in my madness as they say.

Ian and I have bought all manner of teas and all kinds of flavors in various places in Canada and all over the world. We even bought super peach and apricot and vanilla-flavored teas at the prestigious Banff Springs Hotel in Banff, Alberta, where the queen has stayed and dined. One time I did a demo in their bookstore and provided goodies for people to taste that were made out of my cookbooks. It was such a wonderful couple of days and the guests (many American) were so nice and I sold lots of books, which really made it even more fun. As a result of my "gig", we stayed in this majestic palace-like hotel for the weekend - free! While I worked for hours, my grateful husband caught up on his tan around the swimming pool with the Rocky Mountains in the background. Meantime, our sons climbed Sulphur mountain with a friend, who also got to stay for free! As a reward, Ian took us on the last day to the buffet brunch, which is always spectacular!

The British love their tea and English ladies have such pretty complexions as we know. I think it is partly that they don't get too much sun and partly the fact that they drink so much tea. That's my theory.

Here is a website that talks about the tea: Rooibos Tea

On the first site, Honeybush tea is also mentioned. That is another nice tea to try. I still prefer Rooisbos tea though. Rooibos tea is full of flavonoids. "Flavonoids are most commonly known for their antioxidant activity. However, it is now known that the health benefits they provide against cancer and heart disease are the result of other mechanisms. Flavonoids are also commonly referred to as bioflavonoids in the media."


Jennifer Eloff
www.low-carb.us