THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Monday, September 29, 2008

The Dangers of Undercooked Chicken


This blog post would not have occurred to me had my husband's cousin not contracted Guillain-Barré syndrome from undercooked chicken. Guillain-Barré syndrome is a situation that arises when one's immune system attacks the nerves and causes paralysis that can last several weeks. Most people make a full recovery within a few weeks or months. However, some may take longer to recover and others may have permanent nerve damage.

Here is the full article on campylobacteriosis There are some precautions to be taken when handling raw chicken and if you're presented with undercooked chicken at a restaurant, send it back to be cooked properly. Choose rotisserie chickens that look more well-done to prevent parts of the chicken from being undercooked. Don't eat it if it looks pink or red. Juices should run clear as well.

2 comments:

Vikki said...

I am the official raw chicken nazi! Everything that might possible come in contact with the chicken is throughly washed and bleached afterwards... well except me... wash no bleach please.

I don't think I have every cooked chicken without scrubbing out the sink and cabnet afterwards.

I don't come close to being as safe in the kitchen as I should be, but I don't fool around with raw meat at all, expecially chicken.

Jennifer said...

Vikki, you're amazing! Good for you!

My son contracted E-coli as a little boy of 18 months after eating a hamburger at MacDonald's the day before. He almost died and I can't even begin to tell you the ordeal we went through at the time, but with much prayer he survived and without any lasting effects. We told Jonathan the story when he was older and now whenever I'm working with raw meat in the kitchen, he playfully (or not so playfully) recoils and asks me some health-related questions as to whether I've cleaned surfaces, washed my hands, etc. (smile)