BRUSCHETTA


This recipe to my mind is nicer than the real thing (delicious!), but maybe it has been a while since I had the real thing. Nevertheless, I still think I would prefer this, especially when I think of the white bread sitting somewhere on my body where I don't want it!

BRUSCHETTA A LA LOW-CARB

3 medium Chinese eggplant (light purple in color)
Breading:
A mixture of ground almonds, Parmesan cheese, low-carb bread crumbs (low-carb toast, blended in the blender) or one of my low-carb bake mixes and salt or "No Salt" to taste and dried, crushed basil or Spicy Spaghetti Seasoning

Egg wash:
3 eggs
2 tbsp water

olive oil for frying

Bruschetta Topping:
2 tsp crushed garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 tsp basil or Spicy Spaghetti Seasoning
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt or No Salt

Wash and dry eggplant. Cut ends off and slice thinly. Set aside.

Breading: Combine your choice of ingredients on a dinner plate.

Egg Wash: Combine eggs and water and beat lightly with a fork.

Dip eggplant slices in egg wash and then in breading. Fry in olive oil on both sides until nicely brown and tender. Layer slices of cooked eggplant in 9 x 13 inch dish. Spread some of tomato mixture over eggplant. Repeat.

Bruschetta Topping: In frying pan, stir fry garlic until beginning to turn brown. Add tomatoes, water, basil and salt. Bring to the boil and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.

Helpful Hints: Chinese eggplant is milder tasting than American eggplant, because it has fewer seeds and the skin is less tough. Eggplant is a wonderful low-carb vegetable - probably one of my favorites. I did not give a carb count as that will vary depending on the type and amount of "breading" used. Suffice is to say this recipe is an OWL recipe. It will add interest and flavor to almost any meal.

Jennifer Eloff
www.low-carb.us