THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Amazing Weight Loss Benefits of COCONUT OIL

I found this amazing web site talking about coconut oil and had to share it with readers of this blog:

Coconut-Info.com

I've known for several years now that many low-carbers have discovered that consuming some coconut oil (not too much obviously - calories!) each day definitely helps the majority of people lose weight more easily. What amused me no end as I went looking for something to write about coconut oil, I found this site and it totally supports low-carbing!! Surprise, Surprise! The man who runs the site is a Christian and shares his testimony, which I found to be a very interesting read - amazing story really - nothing short of at least three phenomenal miracles that were worked in his life.

There are recipes using coconut oil for those interested.

One woman's testimony is thus:

"Another benefit of coconut consumption is it helps me control my blood sugar levels. Have you ever eaten any carb intensive food and had a sugar crash? Try eating some coconut oil along with the carb and it may prevent the sugar crash or at least mitigate them. I try to keep my blood sugar level steady all day and so have a nice level energy all day, and not ups and downs all day long. I use to always be a little chubby. (wonder why?) Eating coconut does help control the chubbiness. So the direct health benefits that I have experienced from coconut oil consumption is: increased thyroid function and the blessings that brings; eliminate yeast infections; and, it also helps me control blood sugar levels. I am sure the increased thyroid function and controlling the blood sugar accounts for not being chubby anymore and the stuff tastes good in food." – Phyllis from the Coconut Diet Forums" (see link in my blog - right hand side).

There have been studies done that show that coconut oil in the diet is more effective than a low-fat diet in reducing stored fat! The site is choc full of amazing facts, so rather than waste your time here, go and check it out:

Coconut-Info.com

I will add a few of my own recipes using coconut oil in the next couple of posts. Stay tuned as they say! :-)

Jennifer Eloff
www.low-carb.us

8 comments:

Former Donut Junkie said...

Jennifer, great topic. Look forward to your recipes. I've baked some with coconut flour and really liked it.

Ron, aka The Former Donut Junkie

Jennifer said...

More coconut flour recipes coming, Ron! :-) I have a 1 minute chocolate coconut cake cooked in the microwave oven with whipped cream, creme fraiche, or preserves in the middle and chocolate (made with baker's chocolate) drizzled over the top. I made that today. I need to work on some variations and take a pic. Next recipes will be a couple of chocolate fudge recipes from Splendid Low-Carb Desserts using coconut oil. I'll see if I can get around to it tomorrow.

Tracey said...

OOh, I'm excited to learn more about coconut oil. I'll have to check out the site and wait for more info here.

So far, I've only tried melting it into coffee and making chocolate bark with it. I'm always a little unsure how much of it I should be eating at one time, though.

Jennifer said...

I've hardly ever used coconut oil myself, Tracey. I can use all the help I can get, so will be adding it to my diet as well.

I think since coconut oil has calories, one cannot overdo. My guess would be 2 to 3 tbsp a day maximum and I'd have to say I'd probably only have one. I like the sound of the energy boosting properties and keeping blood sugar more stable, helping with weight loss, boosting the thyroid and eliminating yeast infections. In fact, if it really does all those things, it is no wonder weight loss is boosted.

Former Donut Junkie said...

Just a little FYI on eating the coconut oil. Go easy on it when you first start...maybe 1 tablespoon a day for a few days...then add another one, and so on. Too much at first can cause the big D word! Don't be afraid of it, just start sensibly and all will be well!

Jennifer said...

Thanks for the tip, Ron. I didn't know that.

Pepperette said...

You can also suffer flu-like symptoms if you have candida and go through "die-off". The recommended dose is start at 1 tsp. a day for a couple days, then increase in increments till you are up to 3-4 T.(some say 4-6) daily. It has a high flash temp, so cooking at higher temps is one of its good things. You can get the same effects with expeller pressed coconut oil if you do not like the taste of coconut.

Jennifer said...

Hi Pepperette :-)

That's very interesting and helpful information. Thank you.