THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Low-Carb has been called a diet craze, diet fad and worse, but....

It was predicted by many that the low-carb diet that had again gained in popularity from the late 1990's to 2004 was simply a fad diet that would soon be forgotten. Sometime after Dr. Atkins died, it almost seemed like they were right. Companies producing Frankenfoods collapsed, even the Atkins branch in the UK suffered enormous loss and they discontinued many low-carb products in America, and I could be wrong but the Atkins company got close to bankcruptcy. Interest in low-carbing waned so much that people were not buying (or perhaps they realized the Frankenfoods were not working and that the sugar alcohols were making them feel ill) and low-carb forums became quiet places for the faithful to still meet and discuss their WOE (no pun intended, of course. That is why I prefer WOL = way of life vs way of eating). And, yet, a resurgence in interest has been happening the last couple of years, and it is gaining momentum. Most people these days acknowledge that low-carbing is a healthier way to live, even if they don't fully embrace it, and certainly part of the reason for that is the numerous studies coming out to validate low-carbing as a healthier alternative to low-fat for many people and definitely healthier than the Western diet. Another part of the reason is due to the American Diabetes Association half-heartedly endorsing low-carbing (it's coming - big organizations are slow to change and rather conservative). Many of us have developed "carb" consciences versus the old "fat" consciences, which is also a big change in our thinking. The fear of fat has started switching to the fear of refined carbohydrates with some of us, but not the majority. As more and more physicians realize that their patients with diabetes and/or struggling with hyperinsulinism and too much weight fare better on a low-carb diet, they will embrace it, recommend it and things will slowly escalate from there. It takes time, but when the health professionals embrace low-carbing fully, it will become a household name - far far from the fad diet, diet craze name-calling days!! Poor, brave Dr. Atkins and other doctors, like Dr. Bernstein and Dr. Eades - what abuse they suffered from the medical establishment to benefit the rest of us.

Still, the very fact that low-carbing is still alive and well, forums picking up in activity, my book sales picking up, some excellent low-carb products and even some new ones still to be found, low-carb online stores doing a brisk business, people like Dr. Eades and his wife, Gary Taubes and Jimmy Moore to name but a few people passionate about low-carbing and health still promoting online, plus the numerous low-carb bloggers out there - including myself - says low-carbing is here to stay!!

Let's hear it for Low-Carbing!!!! It is NOT a FAD DIET - far from it! I remember a "friend" who knew I had just written my first low-carb cookbook, Splendid Low-Carbing, calling low-carb a fad diet. It hurt and I'm ashamed to say that at that point I did not hotly defend it, as I'm not a very confrontational person at the best of times, and I was in her home enjoying her hospitality. I remember her words though and I derive some satisfaction from the fact that she must know today that it is not a fad diet. We have long since moved away from where she lives, but...you know what I mean.

In addition, I remember the rejection I felt years ago. When I switched from writing for people with diabetes and their traditional low-fat, higher carb diet to low-carb, the Canadian Diabetes Branches that had been ordering my books stopped ordering, the Splenda Company in Canada stopped ordering and the American Splenda Company lost interest in my books as well. Still, call me stubborn...I persisted and wrote 5 low-carb cookbooks, still feeling the rejection through all those years, but now I'm beginning to feel somewhat vindicated. I am writing low-carb recipes for an international Diabetes Magazine. The people at this magazine actually understand the importance of low-carbing for people with diabetes. I hope the people that rejected my books due to the switch to low-carbing will get to see those magazines and my recipes. :-) Sweet!

Jennifer Eloff
Low-Carb.us

10 comments:

PaulaB52 said...

Hi, I came over from the Bionic Broad's blog.

Every time I pick up a cookbook with Splenda recipes, they are full of carbs. What's the point of using Splenda if you're still going to be getting 100+ carbs per serving?

I'm going to mark your site.

The Bionic Broad said...

Every time I hear that my diabetic friends have been told to eat wads 'o' carb, I cringe. The doctors are killing them, and since they trust the medical establishment, when I try to show them the evidence supporting the low-carb lifestyle for type 2 diabetes, they also say, "But my doctor said..." Makes me sad, just like when organizations stop ordering your books.Twits!

Great post, as usual.

The Bionic Broad said...

I forgot to ask...where do I buy your cookbooks?

Jennifer said...

Wow! 3 comments in a row! Be still my foolish heart! LOL

I should keep putting my URL at the end of posts, as someone else asked me rather annoyed.

www.low-carb.us is where you will find my low-carb cookbooks. Make sure it is not the first two - Splendid Desserts and More Splendid Desserts are like the ones Paula describes, although not quite 100 g carbs per serving - they were the diabetic-style books. Still, they are by no means low-carb and I don't make those desserts unless I do my decarbed versions of them.

There are five low-carb cookbooks clearly marked as such:

Splendid Low-Carbing
More Splendid Low-Carbing
Splendid Low-Carbing for Life, Vol. one
Splendid Low-Carbing for Life,
Vol. two
and Splendid Low-Carb Desserts

Pepperette said...

What is the name of the "International Diabetes" magazine you write for? I would very much like to see a diabetic mag that gears for low carb management of blood sugars!
Thanks

Jennifer said...

Pepperette, the magazine is called Diabetes Health. The famous Dr. Bernstein (has lived with diabetes 1 for over 60 years!!) is on the board of directors and one of the founders of the magazine is a man who has had type 1 Diabetes for over 30 years. You can read more on their site and find out about ordering details - see Wonderful Web Sites on my blog on the right hand side of the screen for the link. Enjoy! :)

Former Donut Junkie said...

LOVE this post! It's not always popular to go against the establishment, but if you're right, then darn it, you're right.

Here's a little snippet about Stefansson and his Inuit studies that says it all.

Epilogue: Stef used to love his role of being a thorn in the flesh of nutritionists. But in 1957 an article appeared in the august journal of the American Medical Association confirming what Stef had known for years from his anthropology and his own experience. The author of this book has also popularized Stef's diet in England, with the blessing of staid British medical folk.

Was it with the faintest trace of disappointment in his voice that Stef turned to me, after a strenuous nutrition discussion, and said: "I have always been right. But now I am becoming orthodox! I shall have to find myself a new heresy."

Evelyn Stefansson April 22, 1959"

Jennifer said...

ROFL That's funny!

I was tickled pink to find your comment.

By the way, I was born in 1957!

Anonymous said...

I am very late to comment on this and I don't even know if anyone will still read this, but I have been a low-carber since 2002. I have fallen off the wagon a bit due to me being in nursing school and being under a lot of stress (no time to cook). I still eat low carb as much as I can and this has helped prevent me from gaining a lot of weight while sitting on my behind all day studying. We covered the topic of diabetes extensively in class, and I had to bite my tongue more than once when the textbooks and the instructors keep going on about how a diabetic person still "needs" at least (!!) 50-60% of their diet to consist of carbs. They also compare ketosis to ketoacidosis, which is something completely different. But if I want to pass my tests, I have to nod my head, smile and do it.

I'm really hoping that the medical community will finally endorse low carb as a "legitimate" way of eating for diabetics and anyone who needs to control their blood sugar level and lose weight.

Jennifer said...

THANK you for your comment and welcome to my blog. I found your post so interesting as I have wondered about that very same thing sometimes. Poor you, having to fake it in order to pass. It's crazy isn't it?

I think sometimes it comes down to money and greed. The pharmaceutical companies do well if people stay sick and who is hand in glove with them - the big diabetic associations. Sooo...call me suspicious... Anyway, the ADA is to their credit making some small steps in the right direction.