THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

*CONDENSED MILK AND WHITE, MILK AND DARK CHOCOLATE* (GF)

These recipes are from More Splendid Low-Carbing: I figured I can't give a recipe for melting chocolate without giving a chocolate recipe.

First, you'll need the Condensed milk recipe:

CONDENSED MILK
The consistency and taste is very similar to the real thing.

1/3 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup butter, softened
3 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup Splenda Granular
1/3 cup whey protein powder (vanilla or natural)
1/3 cup powdered milk (I use whole milk powder, but skim milk powder is fine too)
1/8 tsp my Thickening Agent, OR Xanthan Gum

In blender, place whipping cream, butter, water, vanilla extract, Splenda Granular, whey protein powder, milk powder and Thickening AgenT or Xanthan gum. Blend until smooth.

Yield: 1 1/8 cups
1 tbsp, 65.8 calories, 2.0 g protein, 5.6 g fat, 2.0 g carbs

Tip: This recipe will not work well in recipes that require heating or baking at high temperatures.

DELUXE WHITE CHOCOLATE
My son, Jonathan,loves this.

2 x Condensed Milk recipe above
2 oz cocoa butter, melted

In blender, prepare Condensed Milk (double all ingredients). In small cereal bowl, place cooca butter and melt in microwave oven about 3 minutes. Stir to ensure all cocoa butter has melted. Add to condensed milk mixture and blend until smooth. Pour into 8-inch square glass baking dish. Freeze until firm. Keep frozen. Thaw a few minutes before cutting.

Yield: 64 pieces
1 piece: 43.9 calories, 1.2 g protein, 3.9 g fat, 1.1 g carbs

Variations: Stir in blanched, chopped macadamias, hazelnutes or almonds.

DELUXE MILK CHOCOLATE: Omit cocoa butter and use 2 oz (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate. Use Chocolate Whey Protein powder, if desired in Condensed Milk. (1.3 g carbs)
DELUXE DARK CHOCOLATE: If desired, use 4 squares unsweetened chocolate for a more intense flavored chocolate. (1.4 g carbs)


Helpful Hints: If you have a source for unsweetened Belgian chocolate that could be even nicer. I've only ever tried this with Baker's unsweetened chocolate. One can play and have fun with this recipe. It's possible to make a layer of white chocolate and a top layer of milk chocolate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In your recipe for Condensed Milk you list Milk Powder. Is that the same as Powdered Milk?

Jennifer said...

Yes, sorry about that!

Janet said...

Jennifer,
The white chocoloate tastes just like white chocolate! Amazing!

I did have a problem though.(I made 1/2 batch). I followed the directions but my white chocolate never got firm. It was runny.
I think I used about 1/4 tsp. of
xanthan since I couldn't find a smaller measuring spoon and had to eyeball it. Could that be the issue? I also had to melt the cocoa butter (since it was hard as rock) so melted the butter for the condensed milk part at the same time.
Tastes really good off the spoon! :)

Jennifer said...

Janet, hi, I'm wondering if you used coconut oil or cocoa butter - big difference. Both get firm but the cocoa butter gets very hard - even at room temperature.

Hopefully, you froze the confection - it should get hard in the freezer.

I have made this recipe a few times, so I'm not sure what the problem is other than the above suggestions.

Have a lovely day, Janet.

danyelle6974 said...

Made a bottle of Bailey's style Irish Cream last night, using one batch of your "condensed milk". I simply subbed one batch for "1 can of condensed milk".

Recipe I used:
1 cup Irish Whiskey
"1 can condensed milk"
3 eggs
1 tablespoon Hershey Chocolate Syrup (I used their sugarfree one which is made with erythritol!)
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon almond essence optional
1 teaspoon molasses ("Black treacle" in UK) optional

What to do:
Blend everything together and then keep in the fridge and give it a good shake before serving (I love it over lots of ice).
It will apparently last for weeks if it is sealed well (the alcohol preserves the eggs and cream). I poured it all into a wine bottle (just fit), but to be honest I don't think it will last for weeks in my fridge because I love Baileys and was devastated when I found out it was 25% carb!
So thank you for the condensed milk recipe!
I simply blended it in a bowl exactly as you directed and then added the other ingredients for the Irish Cream to the same bowl, so although it sounds fiddly it was quite easy in fact.

Jennifer said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.