THE Premier Low-Carb store .. .. AND Meeting Place

Thursday, July 31, 2008

GLUTEN-FREE LOW-CARB BAKE MIX(GF)



Newest Update - please see my newest Gluten-Free Low-Carb Bake Mix options:

Here and here.

Blurb about the Gluten-free Low-Carb Bake Mix (a little more than 1/3 the carbs of white flour): Since oat flour has been approved for folks with Celiac disease (see my earlier post this month), this has opened up a whole new opportunity to make a palatable low-carb bake mix that can also be used in my recipe books. My bake mix worked first time for cookies as well as for muffins when I used it in place of the white flour. Always add liquid ingredients cautiously, withholding at least 1/2 cup and add gradually, until the correct batter consistency for muffins, loaves or cookies is achieved. I made scones yesterday and they were really nice, however, I left out 1/2 the liquid requirements. The same would be true of proceeding cautiously with pancake and crepe batters. If too much liquid is added, stir in a little extra bake mix to the right consistency. Although not perfect, I think this bake mix has potential. It could be a little more difficult for novice bakers, but with practice it will become easier. The trick is to know more or less the consistency of the various batters. For instance, cookie dough is stiffer or thicker, if you will, than muffin or loaf batters.
Alternatives to oat flour: It is possible to use another gluten-free flour to dilute the amount of oat flour or to substitute completely (unless it is soy or millet flour, the carbs will be higher), but I would tend to keep the other ingredients in the same amounts more or less. Xanthan gum has properties that bind the other ingredients together nicely (prevents crumbling), although it does cut sweetness slightly. It is possible to use soy (5.0 g carbs) or millet flour (9 g carbs) in place of oat flour and golden flax meal in place of the coconut flour (6.7 g carbs). It is possible to replace almond flour with hazelnut flour or walnut flour. Hazelnut flour is available through Netrition.com and is made by Bob's Red Mill: Hazelnut Flour

I will attach the Chocolate Cheesecake Muffin recipe (from my first book, Splendid Desserts - regular low-fat sugar free desserts - not low-carb) now and hopefully tomorrow I will have a photo for the blog of those muffins. They were excellent with a tender cake-like crumb, just as if they had been made with white flour.
Click here for New Information about my Gluten-free Low-Carb Bake Mix. I'm working on a new formulation without coconut flour. So far so good, it works wonderfully in muffins and loaves and seems to be almost a cup-for-cup substitution for white flour in recipes. Good news is that it is also quite low-carb at 5 g carbs per 1/4 cup. Anyway, I need to do much more testing.  Apparently millet flour has low carbs like oat flour, but it can be quite grassy-tasting, so maybe using a little of it in combination with oat flour would work better?

GLUTEN-FREE LOW-CARB BAKE MIX

1 1/2 cups oat flour (certified gluten-free), OR soy flour (slightly lower carb), OR millet flour (maybe!)
1 cup ground almonds, OR almond flour, OR Hazelnut flour
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour (available from Netrition) OR golden flax meal
1 tsp Xanthan gum (available from Netrition)
Yield: 3 cups, 12 servings of 1/4 cup each
100.7 calories; 4.2 g protein; 5.3 g fat; 7.0 g net carbs

Here is the nutritional breakdown of Coconut Flour:

Per 2 tbsp (14 g):
26 calories; 1.5 g fat; 2.0 g protein; 10 g carbs subtract 9 g fiber = 1 g net carb or 8 grams of carbohydrate per cup
Chocolate Cheesecake Muffins
These muffins are so good - no butter or fruit spread required. Granted these muffins are higher carb than the muffins in my low-carb cookbooks. The highest I ever went was 8 grams with most of the muffins being around 3 or 4 grams of carbs each. Nevertheless these muffins are less than half the carbs of the original Splenda recipe from my diabetic cookbook, Splendid Desserts. I think this bake mix gives people with gluten intolerance some other options.
Cream Cheese Mixture
3 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp Splenda Granular
Chocolate Batter
1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix
3/4 cup Splenda Granular
3 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp powdered Erythritol (optional)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup of a mixture of half cream and half water
1/4 cup light-tasting olive oil
Cream Cheese Mixture: Beat the cream cheese and 2 tbsp Splenda Granular until smooth and light. Set aside.
Chocolate Batter: Place dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center.
Beat the egg very well. Stir in the cream mixture and olive oil.
Add the liquid ingredients to the well in center of dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened.
Spoon a little chocolate batter into bottom of 8 greased muffin cups. Place a generous teaspoon of the cream cheese mixture on top of the batter in each muffin cup and top with chocolate batter, to 3/4 cup full.
Bake in a 375°F oven 15 to 20 minutes.
Yield: 8 muffins
204.5 calories; 5.6 g protein, 15.6 g fat, 9.2 g net carbs
Have fun with this bake mix and feel free to give me feedback. I have not tested it extensively.
Helpful Hints: This chocolate muffin is not overly sweet (nor was the original recipe), but sweet enough. Splenda Granular does not sweeten chocolate optimally and that is why I sometimes use a little erythritol or the Splenda packets. The bake mix contains some fiber due to the almonds, but especially due to the coconut flour. This might be a little rough for some people, so I advise caution until one knows how one tolerates the extra fiber. In my experience with low-carbing, added fiber in the diet is a good thing.

Certified Gluten-Free Oat Flour is now readily available from many sources:

28 comments:

enelkay said...

Woo-hoo! I'd be in heaven to have that. I've been low-carbing for more than 10 years, but just found out a few months ago that I have Celiac Disease and must eat 100% gluten-free for the rest of my life. So many of my favorite recipes used at least a little wheat gluten, and I'm feeling terribly deprived. Have a good time today, but please post that bake mix recipe Saturday!

Jennifer said...

Hi there Enelkay,

I hope this bake mix will be all you hope it to be. :-) I will try and give some other ideas so that you can play with it a bit more if you like to make it suit your taste perfectly.

I love the new bake mix though!

I'm sorry you have Celiac disease. That's really rough, but it is fortunate that you found out at least what it was.

I will do my best to post on Saturday. :-)

enelkay said...

Thanks, Jennifer. Yes, I'm very lucky finally to find that all of my health problems for 40+ years were a result of Celiac.

Your bake mix sounds as though it would be great for most Celiacs. (Maybe even the basis for another cookbook eventually?) Unfortunately I do have adverse reactions from oats. I haven't tried the certified gluten-free ones, though, so maybe I should.

In the meantime I have a very good, very versatile muffin recipe based on whey protein powder that I got from Rani Merens about ten years ago. I've made a few changes to it in order to suit my own tastes and use it frequently.

What I'm really looking for is a cup-for-cup LC-GF flour mix to bake bread. All of the available GF breads and bread mixes are so high in carbs that I gain weight just looking at them! I wonder if you think this might do for bread? If so, I'll get the ingredients to try it. (If I try it and find the oats won't let me eat it, my husband will be happy to see that it doesn't go to waste!)

Jennifer said...

Enelkay, that is long time to go undiagnosed. Wow! I remember Rani. :-) I go back a long time with low-carbing as well. I wonder how she is?

I tend to gain weight with regular bread too after a while, so I know what you mean. I notice all the flours for gluten-free are so high in carbs, except for soy flour. If you are not against soy flour you could try that and coconut flour and almonds. Otherwise certified gluten-free oat flour would be great if you can tolerate it. Would regular oats (you can grind into a flour yourself) also possibly be contaminated? What do you think?

It is possible that this can work in a bread-like loaf for you - but real bread - no, that won't work with this bake mix. Would you consider using waffles as a substitute for bread? I know someone who does that. You'd have to replace the oat flour with a flour you can tolerate and then use the remaining ingredients that I have in the bake mix recipe. It will still be higher carb, but not full carb that way, because you make the waffles with 16 oz of cream cheese in the batter as well as a cup of wheat bran, say, and a few other ingredients. I can email that recipe to you so that you can play with it, if you're interested.

I also have a muffin recipe that uses no flour. It's actually good - made with cream cheese, ground almonds and whey protein - in Splendid Low-Carbing for life, Vol. One. I can post that recipe on my blog some time if you think you would like to have another muffin recipe for a change of pace.

sylvia said...

Hi Jennifer!

I've got a question for you:
Can one substitute the coconut flour with finely ground coconut?
And maybe increase the xanthan gum by half a teaspoon or so?

Thank you,

Sylvia

Jennifer said...

Hi Sylvia,

You can definitely grind your own coconut. It will be a little less fine and a bit more noticeable in the end product, but usually that will not be a problem. Originally, I used 1 tsp Xanthan gum and that worked really well actually. I reduced it, but I'm still not sure which is best. If you use a full tsp of Xanthan gum, you will be able to use more liquid ingredients in your recipe, because the Xanthan gum immediately thickens the batter upon mixing. Maybe I should give folks the option.... and those interested can figure out which works best.

Jennifer said...

Sylvia - thanks! Due to your comment, I decided to go back to my original idea of 1 tsp Xanthan gum. It allows one to use more liquid ingredients, so that makes sense. It cuts the sweetness slightly, but not too badly. If one uses 1/2 tsp, liquid ingredient requirements drop substantially. Interesting, hey?!

Jennifer

sylvia said...

Thanks Jennifer!
At your service... :-p

Sylvia

Jennifer said...

LOL You're a friend! ;-)

Lauren said...

Ooh, found it! I happen to have all of the ingredients for your bake mix. Will mix up a batch and try them in pancakes--think it'd be good for that?

Lauren said...

Btw, I think Linda Sue weighed coconut flour and figured out the carb count to be substantially lower--something like 5g net carbs per quarter cup, going by weight (the manufacturer didn't convert the oz to cups correctly). Makes it a bit more tempting, eh? :)

Jennifer said...

I must have received a bag of coconut flour with incorrect nutritional analysis on it as well - same as Linda Sue. All the values for the bake mix and muffins have incorporated the new, correct nutritional analysis of coconut flour.

Jennifer said...

I think it should work in your pancake recipe. I have a pancake recipe on here (called drop scones) and I'm sure one could substitute the gluten-free bake mix for the small amount of "flour" ingredients and have it turn out just fine.

Anonymous said...

...but where's the chocolate?

"1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Bake Mix
3/4 cup Splenda Granular
2 tbsp Erythritol (optional)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup of a mixture of half cream and half water
1/4 cup light-tasting olive oil"

I don't see any cocoa or chocolate source listed...

Jennifer said...

Good grief! You are right! So sorry! I will correct that as soon as possible. It is a recipe from my very first cookbook, I believe - Splendid Desserts. Let me go fetch it and correct this now...

Thank you very much for pointing that out. :-)

Truthful said...

Found your blog from Vicki, with the Low Carb forum at about.com . I too was recently diagnosed with celiac after 50yrs of belly ache & bloating every evening, four miscarriages, osteoporosis by 40yo, & my gall bladder decided to quit work shortly thereafter so it was removed.

Further medical complications are inherited FMS/CFS, Lyme and Babesia (another tick-borne disease).

Truthful L. Kindness, and my giant black newfoundland, Blessing pulls my wheelchair as a Service Dog.

Jennifer said...

Nice to meet you, Truthful. Welcome! I will have gluten-free recipes from time to time. Do check out the Lighter Side of Low-Carb and Jamie's Examiner site too for great gluten-free recipes, as well as Healthy Indulgences. These links are to the right of my blog.

My heart goes out to you with all those health problems. Have you read my latest post re FMS? Also, you may want to research mycoplasma infections - a course of doxycycline could relieve a lot of your symptoms as it has for others. Having Celiac is a big challenge but not impossible to deal with and there are so many wonderful substitute recipes out there. I'm just wondering if you need a wheelchair whether you cook though. You have had too many challenges in life. I pray God gives you strength and that through you others will take courage as well. Blessing sounds like an amazing dog. Wow!

Please feel free to come visit my blog. I welcome new people. Thank Vikki for me. She is such a neat fan! I'm a fan of hers too. She, too, has had many challenges in life, and, yet, one could not hope to have a more loyal, sweet friend.

Jennifer said...

Enelkay - if you read this again and I hope you will - I'm going to work on a gluten-free low-carb bread for you. There has to be a way to make something half decent. Hang in there! Meantime my gluten-free waffles will make a good substitute.

Cooking with Kenzie said...

I was wondering if you had any luck with the GF low carb bread. My daughter has just been diagnosed with a wheat sensitivity, and I have had me first success today with a delicious GF French Country Loaf, but my SIL, who lives with us is diabetic and wheat sensitive and I would like to kill two birds with one stone. In support of each of them, I am joining them in their GF low carb journey, I think that gives me a vested interest in making the food delicious. :-)

Jennifer said...

Kenzie, I forgot to work on it, but I'm planning to do this real soon. If it works out, I will put it on my blog in the next week. Basically it will be more of a loaf bread than a bread-bread if you know what I mean.

Jennifer said...

Kenzie, if you email me at Jennifer.Eloff@gmail.com I'll send you the loaf/bread I made today. It is not really blog-worthy, but I have a photo and the recipe for you. It is difficult to make a gluten free bread, not to mention low-carb as well. Let me know if you come up with something wonderful and we'll share it here and give you the credit.

Jennifer said...

Check out my Fast Cheesebread - the gluten-free version. It's not bad toasted.

Penny said...

Hello and thank you for all you share with us.
What's your take on replacing the oat flour with oat fiber? (http://www26.netrition.com/lifesource_oat_fiber_page.html) It is low carb and I wonder if you have worked with it and if you think it would work well in this flour blend. Thank you!
Penny
GLUTEN-FREE LOW-CARB BAKE MIX

1 1/2 cups oat flour (certified gluten-free), OR soy flour (slightly lower carb)
1 cup ground almonds, OR almond flour
1/2 cup sifted coconut flour (available from Netrition)
1 tsp Xanthan gum (available from Netrition)

Yield: 3 cups, 12 servings of 1/4 cup each
100.7 calories; 4.2 g protein; 5.3 g fat; 7.0 g net carbs

Jennifer said...

Penny, oat fiber will not work.

sg62 said...

I'm so happy I found your site. I just started on a low carb diet and so far I really like it. I also have celiac and finding your low-carb gluten free mix is great. I'm going out tomorrow for the ingredients.

I'll be visiting often

Jennifer said...

sg62, please make sure the oat flour is certified gluten-free. Bobs Red Mill makes certified gluten-free oats which can be powdered in a blender to make flour. You can find it on Netrition.com Same with coconut flour and Xanthan gum. I'm not sure you will find these specialty ingredients locally. If you do find them, let me know. I'd be curious.

Anonymous said...

I notice that you use only 1 egg in this recipe. Most recipes that I have seen that use coconut flour use a large number of eggs. I have never seen a good explanation for this and was wondering what you can tell me about it. I have avoided using coconut flour recipes because of all the eggs that they usually call for. Can this baking mix be subbed for any or your recipes calling for a low carb baking mix with no alterations? Thanks

Jennifer said...

This recipe is okay because it has quite a bit of other wet ingredients in it. The number of eggs can be reduced by adding other liquid ingredients . Coconut flour absorbs moisture like crazy and I mean like crazy!!

To answer your question, I think you can use this baking mix instead in my recipes, however, sometimes you may need alterations in the form of another egg or some more cream or whatever is in the wet ingredients in the recipe. I'm sorry. All you need is a knowledge of how the batter should look more or less. By the way eggs are not bad for us. They are one of the best foods in my opinion and help prevent macular degeneration of the eyes in old age. The old stories about eggs and cholesterol are wrong. You can Google that.