Oatmeal Lovers - A goofy recipe that could work for you!

As we know oatmeal, especially easy, instant oatmeal is a bit carby for most of us. Do you miss a warm bowl of oatmeal porridge for breakfast? Here is something that might suffice. If you want to go to the trouble of using regular oats, then the carbs would be reduced slightly over using quick-cooking oats. Refrigerate leftovers.

Vanilla Custard Oatmeal Porridge

1 1/4 cups of Cream mixed with water,
Hoods Countdown milk or as I used
a combination of whole milk and evaporated milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup Splenda Granular
1 tbsp Erythritol (optional)
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ThickenThin not/Starch (available from Netrition.com)
4 tbsp quick-cooking oats (about 12 grams of carbs)
1/2 cup water

Put the cream on to heat until just before boiling point. In medium-sized bowl, add eggs, Splenda Granular, Erythritol, vanilla extract and ThickenThin not/Starch. Whisk. Add some hot cream to bowl and whisk it in, then return all to heat and whisk while it thickens. Remove from heat and set aside. In medium bowl, combine quick-cooking oats and water and microwave about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, until water has absorbed. Stir cooked oats into warm, thickened vanilla custard. Spoon some out into a bowl, sprinkle with Splenda Granular, if desired, and enjoy.

Yield: About 3 servings. If I were to guess - about 8 to 9 grams of carbs per serving. (As soon as I have my program on my computer again, I will do the nutritional analysis of all my recipes in this blog. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

Note: This recipe could easily be doubled to make breakfast for the week! Hmm, I just had some this morning for breakfast. It's not quite oatmeal and some of you might think it really is a goofy recipe, but it sure stilled my appetite.